My Great Aunt Ursula




Your power, your grace, your presence, your origins
all reside within your name,
Ursula.

And, you passed your name to me.  
Thank you.
Now, when will I become you?

Your gifts were many.
Your essence expanded beyond your presence
and your presence pulsated.

Ursula.
Bear.
Power gained through hibernation.

Names carry such knowledge.
We do not choose them, 
Over time, we embrace them.

____________________________________

My great aunt Ursula came from the plains of Eastern Montana, youngest daughter of nine children of Ballaghaderreen, Ireland immigrants.  
She is my muse.  She was born in 1901.  
My middle name is Ursula, and it has always been a source of strength for me. I only met my great aunt Ursula a handful of times. She spent most of her life living in New York City with her husband on East 73rd street.  She was my mother's favorite aunt.  
My mother always said Ursula had a 6th sense.  She just knew.  
She lived 90 years.  The day she died, she sat bolt upright in bed in the care center where she lived, and stated, eyes wide open, "He's calling me, I'm going home."  She laid back down in the bed and died peacefully.  
There is a lot about Ursula I don't know.  But, she goes with me, and for that, I am truly grateful.

Here's to you, my great aunt, and let's see where this journey leads us, 

Strolling Ursula





 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts

In the Burren Trees

Swimming with Doves